Staff Software EngineerRegular price
About the job
Who We’re Looking For
Toyota is looking for a smart, passionate technology leader who has a keen sense of ownership and a strong engineering mindset. As a Staff Engineer in the Cloud Platforms team, you will be responsible for defining, building, and prioritizing new applications/services, formalizing development methodologies, operations, and platform strategy for Private, Public, and Hybrid Cloud platforms. This position requires deep customer-focused thinking, the ability to be hands-on and to make faster decisions. We are looking for self-motivated individuals who are highly detail-oriented and take pride in their deliverables.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Understand the experience team's needs and define features/technical specifications for a Platform that would provide self-service infrastructure at Toyota’s manufacturing locations and Parts Distribution centers.
- Build IoT Edge services and infrastructure on top of Private Cloud Platform using microservices and streaming platforms.
- Lead, Design, and implement Kubernetes workload Infrastructure components and cloud-native application blueprints to deploy code in low memory/CPU/GPU environments.
- Build and Design Hybrid Cloud patterns/blueprints for seamless interaction with Public Cloud services.
- Run experiments to pilot emerging cloud platform features.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members from Cloud, Product, and Engineering to deliver against quarterly and annual cloud migration objectives.
- Lead, coach, pair with software engineers of diverse backgrounds to write clean and iterative code based on TDD.
- Engage in code and architecture reviews helping maintain our coding standards and provide cost optimization guidance.
- Lead architecture meetings and technical discussions with the focus of reaching consensus and best practice solutions.
- Lead the team in defining technical requirements and solutions and drive projects through to completion.
- Break down tasks for other engineers and offer guidance to other engineers on the team when they are blocked.
- Create engaging technical content, including writing internal company blog posts, white papers, practical guides, and platform demos.
- Stay current with industry trends and recommend relevant technologies and products in the areas of Private, Public, and Hybrid Clouds.
- Nurture a culture of ownership, learning, automation, re-use, and engineering efficiency using software design patterns and industry best practices.
- Be a leader, evangelist within your team and the organization.
What You Bring
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent work experience.
- Progressive application development and engineering experience; demonstrable technical leadership experience in new platform development, product ownership, and iterative design.
- Knowledge of Edge infrastructure and application design for IoT workloads.
- Extensive experience leveraging AWS/Azure/GCP Platform to deploy highly reliable and scalable cloud applications.
- Demonstrated ability in building cloud-native and 12-factor full-stack applications using container technologies, i.e., Kubernetes (AKS, EKS, OpenShift) and modern frameworks built using Java, Typescript, Golang, etc.
- Expert level knowledge of system design; high-performance computing; file, block, and storage technologies; integration of computing, storage, and network technologies to deliver cohesive infrastructure solutions.
- Thorough understanding of building cloud-native infrastructure using evolutionary architecture practices.
- Demonstrated work experience in writing functional and maintainable code.
- Expert at working with service-based application architectures and familiar with various API protocols (e.g., GraphQL, gRPC) and messaging protocols (e.g., MQTT).
- Motivated and Self-Starting: able to think critically about problems, decipher user preferences versus hard requirements, and effectively use online and onsite resources to find an appropriate solution with little intervention.
- Demonstrated experience in research data collection, analysis, and presentation.
Added bonus if you have
- GitHub presence with contribution and/or collaboration with open-source communities.
- Demonstrated experience in using OPC-UA or any other machine to a machine communication protocol for Industrial Automation.
- Working knowledge of AWS and/or Azure IoT stacks.
- Experience working in large, multi-faceted, and matrixed organizations.
- Experience in the automotive industry.
What We’ll Bring
During your interview process, our team can fill you in on all the details of our industry-leading benefits and career development opportunities. A few highlights include:
- A work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect.
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career, as well as tuition reimbursement.
- Vehicle purchase & lease programs.
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans for your entire family.
- Flexible work options based on business needs.
- Toyota 401(k) Savings Plan featuring a company match, as well as an annual retirement contribution from Toyota regardless of whether you contribute.
- Paid holidays and paid time off.
- Referral services related to prenatal services, adoption, child care, schools, and more.
- Flexible spending accounts.
- Relocation assistance (if applicable).
To save time applying, Toyota does not offer sponsorship of job applicants for employment-based visas or any other work authorization for this position at this time.
Belonging at Toyota
Our success begins and ends with our people. We embrace diverse perspectives and value unique human experiences. Respect for all is our North Star. Toyota is proud to have 10+ different Business Partnering Groups across 100 different North American chapter locations that support team members’ efforts to dream, do and grow without questioning that they belong. As a company that has been one of DiversityInc’s Top 50 Companies for Diversity and a member of The Billion Dollar Roundtable supporting minority and woman-owned suppliers for over 10 years, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates the diversity of the communities where we live and do business.
Applicants for our positions are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.
Have a question or need assistance with your application? Check out the How to Apply section of our_ _careers page on Toyota.com or send an email to TalentLinkAdmin@toyota.com.