Software Engineering InternRegular price
About the jobIt takes powerful technology to connect our brands and partners with an audience of nearly 900 million. Whether you’re looking to write mobile app code, engineer the servers behind our massive ad tech stacks, or develop algorithms to help us process trillions of data points a day, what you do here will have a huge impact on our business—and the world. Want in?
A Little About Us
We build, enhance, and maintain one of the highest scaling email platforms on the planet. We are the first component in the mail back end, a middle tier, that contains the APIs and business logic through which virtually all mail operations flow. We implement REST APIs for our world-class mail clients (mobile, web, Yahoo, AOL, etc), standards-based protocols (IMAP, POP, etc) for generic mail clients, and industry leading back-end mail synchronization. We impact approximately 300 Million users every month, serving billions of requests a day across servers across the world, and are critical to Yahoo!’s success.
Yahoo Mail is the ultimate consumer inbox. It is the best way to access your email and stay organized from a computer, phone or tablet. With its beautiful design and lightning fast speed, Yahoo Mail makes reading, organizing, and sending emails easier than ever. Come join this amazing team of Engineers, Product Managers and Designers to work on next generation innovative experiences transforming how users connect with each other every day.
A Lot About You
We are looking for smart people, with strong CS fundamentals, that collaborate well, learn quickly, and value high quality code. The most successful engineers own and drive their tasks to completion, collaborate well to achieve their goal, can think through scenarios and edge cases, learn from our leadership, and realize the broader impact of their work. If you are excited to work on and explore something specific that we need your fresh perspective and focused effort to prove or deliver something important towards our upcoming designs & projects, then this is the place to be. You will learn and gain hands-on experience while engaged in projects with significant impact on the success of Yahoo!
- Design, implement, test, and debug something to prove or deliver towards our upcoming designs & projects; revise and refine as required.
- Collaborate with a senior technical leader or architect.
- Learn from a multitude of sources, including on the job project experience, reviewing code from others, team education sessions, collaborating with peers, frequently soliciting advice & shoulder reviews from leaders & architects, as well as online or class-based learning.
- Participate in agile development with weekly sprints, planning & estimating work, daily standup, & retrospectives.
- Take initiative to identify, solve, and pursue problems you discover to full completion.
- Request and participate in code reviews.
- Communicate and solicit ideas for your project.
- Contribute to best practices and work culture of our team.
- Pursuing a BS or MS in Computer Science (or equivalent experience with a strong record of academic achievement
- Programming proficiency in a high level language (preferably Java or C++).
- Proficient in Computer Science fundamentals, including data structures & algorithms.
- Knowledge of software engineering processes & tools for coding, testing, and debugging.
- Familiarity with object-oriented programming concepts, large-scale software architecture, networking and distributed systems, and UNIX/Linux environments.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate well with a team and incorporate feedback from leaders.
- Enjoy helping people, remain friendly and constructive under stress.
At Yahoo, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion (www.yahooinc.com/diversity/) page to learn more.
US Only: Please be aware that Yahoo requires all employees entering a U.S. Yahoo office and/or attending a company event (including client events) are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19. This position will require the successful candidate to obtain and show proof of a vaccination to enter a U.S. Yahoo office and/or attending a company event (including client events). Yahoo is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated consistent with federal, state, and local law. Sign In For Details