Software EngineerRegular price
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
Come and join the team of passionate software engineers who own the SaaS component of VMware Cloud on Dell EMC.
We're a highly collaborative team. But we know what you're thinking: don't all teams say they are collaborative? Well, we think we are a bit different. Our engineers get the opportunity to work on interesting technical challenges that require us to collaborate with other teams and products at VMware, and across organizations with Dell EMC. Collaboration and teamwork are a big part of who we are as a team.
This role provides an excellent opportunity for a software engineer looking for a role that will help them grow into a technical lead. You will be working on projects that involve solving interesting technical challenges while collaborating across teams and products.
Success in the Role: What are the performance outcomes over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
In your first six months you will:
- Learn about VMC on Dell EMC as well as our tools and processes. If you are new to understanding data center hardware and networking, you will spend some time learning about this space. It was new for all of us once too!
- Work with your scrum team to implement stories and tasks, including writing automated tests
- Provide feedback to your peers via code reviews
- Create a technical design document for a feature you are working on, and present it to the VMC on Dell engineering team for feedback at one of our weekly design review meetings
- Work with your manager to craft your career development goals for the next 6-12 months
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
- Develop and maintain software including design, implementation, and testing tasks as well as fixing bugs, primarily using Java and Springboot
- Provide feedback to peers via code reviews and design reviews
- Join daily stand-ups and contribute in sprint planning sessions
- Participate in our on-call rotation, including handling our production pushes while on rotation
- Write technical design documents
- Proactively identify areas of improvement for our product, tools, and processes, including contributing to our CI/CD systems
- Lead the delivery of small features, including collaborating closely with our PM, UI, UX, documentation, and End-to-End testing teams
- Collaborate with senior technical leaders to contribute to the delivery of larger or more complex features
- Write and update internal documentation for features, tools, and processes you are working on
- Collaborate with other engineering teams, including from other VMware products
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring manager for this role is Claire Taylor, R&D Director. Claire has been managing software engineering teams for over ten years. She believes in empowering engineers to do their best work and focuses on building strong, autonomous teams.
This role is part of the Cloud Services Team, which consists of 18 engineers located in the US and India, with additional roles currently open across the US, India, and Ireland.
Where is this role located?
Remote: this role is fully remote and can be done anywhere in the USA.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Wellness reimbursement and online fitness and wellbeing classes
This position is eligible for JoinCloudSolutions ERP campaign
This job may require the candidate to comply with travel restrictions and/or work from a facility that requires full vaccination prior to entry.
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Manager and Professional
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2022-03-09
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.