Junior Engineer - JavaRegular price
About the job
You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.”
- Participates with the product engineering and delivery & integration teams via Retrospectives/Post-Implementation.
- Reviews to ensure quality standards are adhered to during development and implementation.
- Contributes to continuous service improvement by maintaining standard methodologies and knowledge repositories.
- Reviews root cause analysis and resolution of problems.
- Participates in the development and deployment of preventative maintenance procedures.
- Participates in Disaster Recovery Testing.
- Participates in discussions between the Business Unit CIO and Infrastructure teams.
- Serving as a core member of an agile team that leads user story analysis and elaboration, designs and develops software applications
- Writing code and unit tests, automation, and conducting code reviews and testing
- Identifying exciting opportunities for adopting new technologies to solve existing needs and predicting future challenges
- Performing ongoing refactoring of code, utilizing visualization and other techniques to fast track concepts, and delivering continuous improvement
- Working with product managers to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and managing a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues
- Manage your own time, and work well both independently and as part of a team
- Quickly generate and updating proof of concepts for testing and team feedback
- Embrace emerging standards while promoting best practices
- Perform technical aspects of software development for assigned applications including design, developing prototypes, and coding assignments
- Contribute the deployment, support, and monitoring of software across test, integration, and production environments.
- Take initiative to identify and implement new, highly scalable foundational components and libraries
- Improve and maintain existing components of the core platform
- Employ technical expertise to help team members overcome technical problems
- Actively participate in team and organization-wide architecture and engineering discussions and forums
- As part of our diverse tech team, you can architect, code and ship software that makes us an essential part of our customers’ digital lives. Here, you can work alongside talented engineers in an open, supportive, inclusive environment where your voice is valued, and you make your own decisions on what tech to use to solve challenging problems. Amex offers a range of opportunities to work with the latest technologies and encourages you to back the broader engineering community through open source. And because we understand the importance of keeping your skills fresh and relevant, we give you dedicated time to invest in your professional development. Find your place in technology on #TeamAmex.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 2+ years of Java and Web development work experience
- 2+ years experience in Agile development, application design, software development, and testing
- 2+ years experience with Java/J2EE, and Spring
- 1+ years experience with building RESTful APIs
- Comfortable working in an environment based on Agile development methodologies and DevOps principles.
- Aptitude for learning and applying programming concepts
- Ability to effiectively communicate with internal and external business partners
- Experience in contributing a team of engineers.
- Experience with adaptive and responsive development techniques
- Exptertise in software engineering practices and processes; i.e open source style project maintainers, code reviews, PR review process, issue triage, code contribution, test auomation strategy , CI/CD optimization.
We back our colleagues with the support they need to thrive, professionally and personally. That’s why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
If the role you are applying for is designated as hybrid or onsite, you will be required to demonstrate that you have completed your primary COVID-19 vaccination series (i.e., 2 doses for Moderna/Pfizer and 1 dose for J&J) in order to work in or visit any of our offices. This requirement is subject to legally required accommodations.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.