Senior Software Engineer, JSTOR + ARTSTORRegular price
About the job
ITHAKA’s mission is to expand access to knowledge and education around the world. Our services — Artstor, JSTOR, Portico, and Ithaka S+R — enable people everywhere to learn, to grow, and to overcome historical barriers to education. In carrying out our mission, as employees we feel a deep responsibility to each other and our well-being, and are committed to building and sustaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer to design, develop and support applications and services for the ITHAKA platform. The successful candidate will have applicable experience with large-scale distributed web applications, a high degree of intellectual curiosity, excellent problem solving skills and strong communication and interpersonal skills. This is a unique opportunity to be on the leading edge of building large-scale, cloud delivered web applications that host hundreds of millions of sessions annually.
Our organization and this role will provide you with an opportunity few other companies can offer including:
- Leveraging technologies such as AWS, Java, Python, and Kubernetes.
- Agile teams that follow continuous deployment and test automation best practices allowing for rapid application development and frequent deployments. We complete an average of 200 production deployments each week.
- Developers that are using the same architecture, technologies, and tools as companies like Netflix, Etsy, and Amazon.com.
When joining the development team at JSTOR, you can expect to receive tool and product training. We have an excellent onboarding program, which enables new engineers to become productive very quickly. A lead will work closely with you as you begin engaging with your assigned agile team. We will provide you with constant support as we work to make you comfortable in your new environment. Those in leadership roles will work tirelessly to set you up for success.
The successful candidate will have applicable development experience, experience with large-scale distributed web applications, a high degree of intellectual curiosity, excellent problem-solving skills and strong communication and interpersonal skills. We look for candidates that possess strong debugging skills, a passion for best practices, and the ability to optimize code for clarity and reliability, as well as performance.
The primary responsibilities of our developers include:
- Participate as an empowered member of a collaborative agile team to design, develop and maintain high performance applications.
- Support the build-out of high-performance, elastic, and scalable web applications and services.
- Leverage continuous deployment and test automation tools in order to deploy application changes to production on average more than once per day.
- Interact with internal and external customers to understand needs and implement services and applications to meet those needs.
- Leverage web analytics as needed to support Product Discovery and to measure project KPIs.
- Test, measure, and optimize performance using Application Performance Management Tools.
Experience And Skills
- Proven experience designing and developing RESTful Services and Web Applications preferably using Java or Python. Other languages including Clojure and Node.js are a plus.
- Experience with full web technology stack (e.g. HTTP, cookies, headers, caching, and security).
- Experience as a technical leader on a large, complex project.
- Experience architecting and building large-scale, high volume web applications.
- Experience with Linux, shell scripting or other scripting languages.
- Willingness and ability to learn new approaches and emerging technology quickly.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced problem solving skills.
- Detail oriented.
Compensation & Benefits
At ITHAKA we believe in openness and equity. Part of living those values is our commitment to clarity about salary, so candidates know what to expect. The pay range for this position is $104,000 - $130,000 per year. Base pay may vary with job-related knowledge, skills, experience, market location, and geography. Our total compensation package includes a no-cost health insurance premium option, an employer-funded retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program for all benefits-eligible staff.
Work for ITHAKA
We are committed to our organizational values of belonging, evidence, speed, teamwork, and trust. We take inclusion seriously. Belonging is one of our core values, and it shows in our vibrant culture. People from a wide range of backgrounds work at ITHAKA, and we believe that unique perspectives help us realize new insights and build better solutions.
We want to work with people who are passionate about ideas like these and who wish to contribute their perspectives and talents to ITHAKA’s mission. We enthusiastically welcome applications from people of all underrepresented backgrounds and credentials. We want to hear your story and include your perspective in the transformative work we aim to do.
Learn more about Working at ITHAKA.
Candidates may apply by submitting an application online through our career site, if you have any questions about your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. ITHAKA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, if there’s anything we can do to accommodate any portion of the application or hiring process, please contact us at email@example.com.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, domestic violence victim status, veteran status, disability, history of disability or perceived disability, or other status protected by law.