Software Development Engineer III (PHP Developer)Regular price
About the job
We're ALDI, one of America's favorite grocers. We've grown a lot in the past few years, expanding our reach and customer base all around the country. Whether it's in customer service or our exceptional products, we owe our success to the efficiencies we create in every corner of our company and the people at each level who make that happen.
The Aldi Digital Services team supports a suite of eCommerce platform applications known as Accelerated Customer Interaction. These applications are served by a backend core system that is based in PHP and MySQL. Aldi seeks to hire an experienced and expert level PHP developer to enhance and support this backend technology. This person would need to assess, understand, groom and implement sets of users stories for this backend development effort. Knowledge of Agile Development Methodologies, particularly SCRUM and Scaled Agile are required. The applicant would work with a dynamic, international team of experts to deliver feature enhancements and defect solutions serving Aldi's online customers that would be leveraged throughout Aldi's US and global market.
Position Type: Full-Time (Work is performed 100% remote with once or twice per month, in person team meetings)
Duties and Responsibilities:
Must be able to perform duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Feature Enhancement, bug fix support programming as well as software architectural design.
• Participates in SCRUM sprint planning and story grooming.
• Provides input to their direct leader concerning personnel hiring and performance.
• Identifies project issues and recommends corrective action as appropriate.
• Participates in the evaluation and recommendation of the use of off-the-shelf or custom developed software.
• Recommends process improvements for area of responsibility.
• Maintains a thorough understanding of business processes; identifies and recommends changes to related software and hardware to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
• Assists in communicating and modeling the overarching company strategy and core values of the organization to create a proper work environment and sense of teamwork among employees.
• Adheres to and assists their direct leader in ensuring compliance standards, policies, and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job, including all project management related responsibilities.
• Prepares user documentation, bulletins and corresponding program updates for distribution to all relevant users.
• Ensures programs meet requirements for security and integrity of information.
• Coordinates with national and international project delivery including documentation, testing, training, deployment and maintenance of new or existing software/hardware solutions.
• Leads the overall Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) service management processes for software and hardware solutions.
• Maintains, manages and understands user requirements and issues, participates in project or committee meetings as required, reports on project health on international and national projects of lesser scope.
• Supports IT Project Manager or Manager IT in the delivery of project objectives and deliverables.
• Acts as a knowledge source and mentor for team members.
• Coordinates development and testing of software and hardware.
• Develops and maintains custom applications.
• Ensures quality, extension and optimization of existing solutions and in-house developments.
• Drafts and designs specifications as well as subsequent implementation of applications, infrastructure and methods.
• Collaborates with team members and communicates relevant information to leadership.
• Upholds the security and confidentiality of documents and data within area of responsibility.
• Other duties as assigned.
ALDI Acts Competencies:
Perform within ALDI Acts competencies as outlined below.
• Collaborates and Cooperates with Team: Commits to and supports a collaborative and high-performing working environment with peers and managers.
• Drives for Success: Seizes opportunities and proactively takes concrete actions to complete tasks. Goes the “extra mile” and persistently overcomes obstacles to improve outputs.
• Focuses on the Customer: Seeks to understand underlying customer needs to create value. Drives the team to maintain focus on customers.
• Plans and Prioritizes: Sets priorities and organizes information in order to efficiently and effectively achieve positive results.
• Thinks Critically and Resolves Problems: Responds to emerging problems in an accurate and timely manner. Where possible, leverages available resources to address situations before they occur.
• PHP (7.4 or higher) and Asynchronous PHP Programming
• API Programming, HTTP Requests
• SQL, MySQL
• PHPStorm, Composer, Docker, GitLab
• eCommerce applications development
• Ability to understand overall data flow from user specifications considering all input and output, hardware, software and the operating environment.
• Ability to define specifications from user stories and implement to defined coding standards.
• Gives attention to detail and follows instruction.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Effective time management; maximizes productivity.
• Prepares written materials to meet purpose and audience.
• Develops and maintains positive relationships with internal and external parties.
• Ability to interpret and apply company policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of Zend, Symphony, Laravel, RabbitMQ frameworks is a plus.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree or a combination of education and experience providing equivalent knowledge required.
• A minimum of 4 years of progressive experience in Software Development required, MySQL and PHP 7.4 or higher is preferred.
• Experience with Scrum, Agile Development Methodologies.
• Experience working on an international team is a plus.
• Work is performed in an office environment where a computer, telephone and other office equipment are used as needed to perform duties.
• Regularly required to sit, reach, grasp, stand and move from one area to another.
• Constantly and repeatedly use keyboard/mouse.
• Occasionally required to push, pull, bend, lift and move up to 25 lbs.
• International & Domestic travel required.
• Up to 10%.
ALDI offers competitive wages and benefits, including:
- 401(k) Plan
- Company 401(k) Matching Contributions
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- PerkSpot National Employee Discount Program
In addition, eligible employees are offered:
- Medical, Prescription, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Generous Vacation Time & 7 Paid Holidays
- Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Life, Dependent Life and AD&D Insurance
- Voluntary Term Life Insurance
Click here to learn more about the benefits ALDI has to offer
ALDI is committed to equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. As a proud Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), we do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), or any other protected characteristic. Employment may be contingent upon ALDI's receipt of an acceptable and job-related drug test, motor vehicle report, and/or reference check, as applicable and permissible by law.